Today, we will focus on some of the great new features included with Notebook 15. Since SMART started charging for upgrades to Notebook, most of you are probably coming to this new version from 11.4. A LOT has been added since then, especially with the “Interactive” part of this interactive whiteboard software. Take a look at this post if you are looking for basic tips and tricks, or this post from my site for some more advanced things that Notebook can do for you.
Today, we will investigate:
- The place EVERY teacher should start when starting to use Notebook, the SMART Exchange Website where you can find lessons and activities pre-built and ready for you to use or adapt for your needs. The Exchange is accessed through the Gallery tab on the left, the blue “X-ish” icon in the toolbar, or at exchange.smarttech.com. You will need to create an account to take full advantage.
- Notebook Maestro. This feature has been the most requested since the iPad came out. In conjunction with the iPad Notebook app ($5.99), you can use this add-on to connect to your computer and control Notebook wirelessly! Great for untethered teaching or for allowing students to interact with your lesson from their seats. Learn more here and download the Maestro add-on (use your school information when asked, you don’t need to put in the Tech Director’s name, etc.)
- Lesson Activity Builder (LAB): Access this from the “Magic Hat” button in the toolbar.
- The LAB is a collection of different templates to help you quickly build interactive activities
- Demo a Parts of Speech activity
- Experience a “Mobile Enabled” activity called Shout It Out!, answering the question, “Who will win the SuperBowl?” If you are not into pro Football, choose from the Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, Arizona Cardinals or the Carolina Panthers
- Other New Add-Ons
- SMART Blocks – blocks that will do different simple math with number given to it. You can interconnect the blocks to build live equations.
- Lesson Recorder vs. SMART Recorder
- Lesson Recorder: Records actions and writing on a Notebook page, and save those actions within a Notebook page.
- SMART Recorder will record all of your actions in Notebook or anywhere on your computer as well as your voice (with microphone connected) and will create a video file that you can post to a Web site or upload to YouTube.
- Show how to add SMART Recorder and other shortcuts to toolbar)
- GeoGebra for Math Teachers
- New Tools and Pens
- Cover the math tools
- Review other tools
- Text Pen
- Creative Pen
- Magic Pen
- Shape Recognition Pen
- Gallery Review
- Gallery Essentials
- Lesson Activity Toolkit
- Adding to “My Content”