What you’ll need:
- A backup of your Posterous site. Instructions for this are below the video.
- A Dropbox account: If you don’t have one, create one here.
- A Google Site: Instructions to create a Google Site are below the video as well.
Note: This process will not import individual posts from your Posterous site. I’m only showing the steps to embed the content of your Posterous site as an accessible archive. If you’d like to have each post imported, use WordPress.
All you need to know about archiving your Posterous blog/site/space in a Google Site:
If you have not done so already, you’ll need to request a backup of your Posterous site if you do not want to loose the posts, media and content you’ve uploaded to it. The steps to do this are:
- Go to http://posterous.com/#backup.
- Click to request a backup of your Space by clicking “Request Backup” next to your Space name.
When your backup is ready, you’ll receive an email. Each time I’ve done this and everyone I’ve talked to have never received an email notification. Just move on to #4 after a few hours.
- Return to http://posterous.com/#backup to download a .zip file.
Creating a new Google Site is easy. If you do not have a Gmail account, you can sign up for one here. Once you have a Gmail account and are signed in, follow the steps below:
- In Gmail, look for a black bar of links near the top of the page. Click Sites in this bar.
- Click the red Create button.
- The Blank template option is chosen by default, and I would recommend sticking with that.
- Name your site – this will become the site title or banner text.
- Google will automatically give you a Site location, but this can be altered or shortened if you’d prefer (for example, sites.google.com/site/yoursite) as well as an optional description of the site. The URL you choose can’t be changed after you create your site, or used again if the site is deleted.
- Pick a theme for your site.
- Explore the More options choices and include this information if you wish.
- Click the red Create button near the top of the window.
- Now that you’ve created your site, you can create a new page by clicking the Create page button.