Now that TextMarks has limited free groups to one-per-user, GroupMe might be a good alternative for classroom-sized groups.
Each group created has it’s own unique phone number and will accomodate up to 25 members of a group. You can update the group by sending a text to the group phone number. You can also pretty much manage anything you need to do with your group from your phone by sending #commands to the group number… For example:
- #add name phone – adds a new group member
- #list – shows all names and numbers of group members
- #topic topic – changes the discussion topic of the group, or really the name of the group
- #name name – changes your name within the group
- #mute – stops updates from the group. Send #mute again, and you are back in the conversation
- #remove name or number – removes this person or number from the group (only works if you are the group creator)
- #exit – removes me from the group
- #help – sends you a list of commands
- #new topic – creates a whole new group with the name or topic that you enter. You’ll be texted with the new phone number for the new group.