I’m so honored to be presenting at the Nebo EdTechTeam Google Summit this year! Below are the links to the resources for my two sessions:
Adobe Spark is is a suite of FREE apps, including Video, Post, and Page, that allows you and your students to create beautiful social graphics, web stories and animated video – in minutes – without being a creative professional. With Spark in the classroom, you can easily create high quality reports, research papers, posters, writing assignments, presentations and so much more. See some examples and resources on the Adobe Spark in the Classroom page to discover how your classroom creativity can be enhanced. You and your students can use Adobe Spark on any desktop or laptop, Chromebook, or on any iOS device with the Adobe Spark apps. And yes, it is completely free!
Whether you want to gain a following, launch an idea, or support a cause, video is the most engaging way to communicate. Create and share compelling videos in minutes by easily combining video clips, photos and icons into an engaging product. Add impact with text overlay with no design experience required! You can also select from a wide variety of free soundtracks, bring in your own personal music, or even use your own voice to make your point. Spark Video also includes a wide array of rich visual themes to match your story, mood, and message. Each theme includes beautiful transitions and motion that bring your story to life.
Create stunning social graphics in minutes. Get started by previewing a huge assortment of professionally designed templates, and make it your own with a few simple steps. Turn your text and photo into a professional-looking graphic by simply applying the theme of your choice. You don’t need any design experience! Resize your text to your liking – beautiful typography is applied on the fly. It works like magic. There are also automatic sizing options so that your graphic is the perfect height and width for Facebook, Pinterest, or a banner for your web site or Canvas course. Once you have created your masterpiece, it’s simple to share it to social media, or download the image file to use as needed.
Create beautiful web stores by taking your photos, videos and text and easily adding them into a stunning professional web page layout. Photos can come from your own device, from your favorite cloud services, or choose from thousands of free stock photos. Your text, photos and videos instantly come into life with fluid, elegant motion. You call it easy, but your audience will call it amazing.
Apps, sites and services we’ll cover today (I’ll add notes and any of your suggested apps as we go!):
- Explain Everything (I’ll be showing the $9.99 “Classic” version, but the free for 30 days subscription version will work for today). Learn more about their education subscription pricing, find an existing project to build from, or learn more about how to use the app.
- Educreations – This is a decent free alternative app to Explain Everything, and has great classroom support. If you have a classroom set of iPads, your students can create accounts linked to yours to create/share/submit projects with you. Recording and input features are not nearly as robust as Explain Everything, but it’s free!
- ShowMe is another good free alternative.
- Doceri and Doceri Desktop – Control and record your desktop/laptop with your iPad. iPad app is free, but desktop connection software is a one-time $30 purchase.
- EdPuzzle – Tremendously flexible platform for enhancing existing video for classroom use. Pull in video from a wide array of sources and add your own voice and questions to check for understanding embedded within the video.
- TEDEd – A more limited platform similar to EdPuzzle for adding your own questions and additional resources to video, but their video lesson library is AWESOME and is growing all the time.
- eMedia – Netflix for Utah Teachers. Part of Utah’s Online Library. eMedia is a growing library of videos vetted by Utah teachers, aligned to the Utah Core, and free to download and keep any video as long as you are a teacher in Utah.
- Flipgrid – Use video like your students use video. Flipgrid is a video response platform that allows educators to host video based discussions with students. Educators create topic grids and students respond with recorded videos to discuss, reflect, and share via webcam, tablet or mobile device.
- Learn more about Getting Started with Flipped and Blended Instruction from my blog at sedcclint.com
Losing all of your teacher or personal files and photos is a painful experience. Setting up a good backup plan, and keeping up with it, is also painful, but less so than the alternative. Until now!
Last month, Google released a new tool called Backup and Sync for Google Drive and Google Photos. Backup and Sync is an app for Mac and PC that backs up files and photos safely in Google Drive and Google Photos, so they’re no longer trapped on your computer and other devices. Just choose the folders you want to back up, and Google will take care of the rest. The great thing is that since your school G Suite account allows you unlimited storage, you can store all of your important school files and any photos for free!
You’ve used Google Forms to quickly collect data. The automatic summaries and charts are great, but what’s next? How can you see beyond simple averages and totals to make better decisions and gain true insights? In this session we will learn more about some powerful features in Forms and Sheets like data validation, data filters, and pivot tables. We’ll also take a look at some useful add-ons that will allow you to do some amazing things for any classroom. Read more if you’d like to learn more, or follow along if you are in my session today!
Here is my presentation schedule – it’s pretty packed, but I would love to see you in my sessions. If you can’t make one, please stop me and ask me anything! You can see the full session descriptions on Sched – add my sessions to your schedule. My URSA 2017 Page also has all of the details. I’ll also do my best to post what is going on @sedcclint on Twitter using #URSA17!
- 10:10 am: Painless Password Management, ED 104 (repeats Thursday, 10:10 am)
- 11:20 am: Keep Your Cool With Google Keep, Hunter Conference 112 Yankee Meadows
- 1:30 pm: We Gotta Get Out of This Place (Breakout EDU), Hunter Conference 112 Yankee Meadows
- 2:40 pm: Slice and Dice Data Like a Ninja: Advanced Google Forms and Sheets, ED 339 (repeats Thursday at 2:40 pm)
- 10:10 am: Painless Password Management, ED 104 (repeat)
- 11:20 am: We Gotta Get Out of This Place (Breakout EDU), Hunter Conference 112 Yankee Meadows
- 2:40 pm: Slice and Dice Data Like a Ninja: Advanced Google Forms and Sheets, ED 339 (repeat)
- 9:00 am: Quick Look at Google Keep, ED 202, 20 Minute “Over The Shoulder”
Below is my quick list of things you can do with your Google Docs, Slides & Sheet URLs. With any of these tricks, replace whatever follows the last ‘/’ of your document URL, which will follow the REALLY LONG unique document ID. For example:
Replace whatever is in bold in your doc that follows that last ‘/’ with the following to do some cool things:
- /copy – will prompt the user to create a copy of that Doc/Slides/Sheets doc. Your original isn’t touched, and they own the copy!
- /preview – will bring up your Doc/Slides/Sheets in a new window, with no headers or menus – just the content.
- /present – will open your Slide show in a new window, full screen ready to present, with no headers or menus
Am I missing any? I’ll add more as I remember or learn new ones!
Welcome to UCET 2017! Below are the links to all of my presentation resources – just click on the session you have attended (or wish you could have made it to), and you’ll be able to access my presentations directly, see all of the session notes and links to the apps and resources that I have presented.
Also, I’m running for the UCET Board! You can read my bio and information on the UCET site. Make sure you vote! You don’t have to vote for me, but I would appreciate it.
Thursday, March 16
- 4:00 PM: Painless Password Management, Over The Shoulder Session, Union 2 Theater. Add this to your UCET Online Schedule
Friday, March 17
- 11:30 AM: Going Beyond Google Docs with Creative Chromebook Apps, Union Ballroom 2. Add this to your UCET Online Schedule
To start, head to classroom.google.com and login with your @tuacahnhs.org account.
We’ll also need to access this Media Research Assignment that takes you on a deep dive into the great features you may not know about in Google Docs. Feel free to use it with your students!
How did I make it so that you were forced to make a copy??? Here’s how:
- Force Make a Copy: after Doc URL, replace (Doc link)/edit?usp=sharing with (Doc link)/copy
- Google Slides in Presentation mode: replace (Doc link)/edit or /view with (Doc link)/present or /preview
- Others? Here’s a few more.
Lastly, you may like to know more about the new Google Cast for Education Chrome app. It allows students to share their screen with you and the rest of the class!