A haunting and sometimes tough to watch documentary of the terrible things that can happen when texting and driving. Everyone, not just high-school aged kids, should watch this and heed the warnings and dangers of taking your eyes off of the road for just one second. A tough lesson to learn, but one that you certainly do NOT want to learn first hand.
What a great resource for busy teachers! I get asked many of these questions all of the time, and since I don’t have children and don’t need to worry about it, I really don’t know the answers. Now I know where to send those folks looking for a way to safeguard their kids from questionable material out there online.
Here’s a PDF of the Computer Security presentation today at Milford High School.
3 Ways to Block Someone on Facebook from Mashable.com
We ask teachers and students to be careful about what they share on Facebook and to make sure they have their privacy settings locked down to only show updates to friends. These quick little tips on blocking an unwanted person on Facebook are quite helpful.
Anti-Bullying & CyberSpace Dangers Resources for BHS Parent Awareness Night
Utah Nick Vujicic Presentation:
- Full version from UEN (1:10:20)
- Short version for BHS (36:42) on YouTube or download it to your computer.
To This Day video (7:37 min) on YouTube from Shane Koyczan To This Day Project
Bullying Prevention Tips for Parents (PDF) from the Council for Prevention.
What Parents Need to Know about Internet Safety – resources and information from NetSafeUtah.org
Awesomeness Quick Share
Below are some great things in EdTech that I’ve come across in the last few weeks – lots of great resources for those of you looking for options with Project Based Learning (PBL) and student response systems:
- iPad uPad wePad; Going 1-1 at St Oliver Plunkett – This article details the iPad 1 to 1 rollout ‘Bootcamp’ at this school. Don’t miss the posters on Core Teacher Apps, Core Student Apps, and Inquiry Learning with iPads as well as the iPad Boot Camp Summary.
- Nick Vujicic Anti-Bullying Assembly: Utah Simulcast Recording – Hour-long assembly from an internationally known speaker engages and inspires Utah students to be more respectful and supportive of each other.
- InfuseLearning – A web-based student response system like Socrative, but brings so many more assessment and instructional options – sort of a fusion between Socrative and Nearpod (described below) with the sorts of questions you can ask students. Web based means that you are not tied to a specific device, or even a device at all – anything with a web browser will work! Here’s what it can do.
- Haiku Deck iPad presentation app – An alternative to Keynote & Prezi on the iPad for presentation creation. Simple to create a presentation, and the interface forces you to focus on keeping the message simple and to the point. Also allows to easily insert stunning copyright-free images, as well as charts and graphs with a few taps. Oh, yeah… it’s FREE. Learn more at HaikuDeck.com.
- Symbaloo – great bookmarking site that works really well on the iPad. Easy to create your own groups or themes of links – check out my Symbaloo collection of the apps I cover in my 60 Educational Apps in 60 Minutes Prezi as well as the Symbaloo collection from EduTeacher.
- Nearpod – Lucky enough to have a set of iPads or iPod Touches in your classroom? Then you’ll love Nearpod. Nearpod allows you to take control of what your students are viewing during a presentation. You can create or import presentations and then add videos, web sites, quiz questions – even add the ability for students to draw or write their answers. It’s tough to explain how great this app is – check it out!
- Mural.ly – Self tagged as ‘Google Docs for visual people’, Mural.ly allows groups to collaborate on a giant whitespace (sort of like Prezi) where you can drag pictures, text, sound and videos from any Web site or your computer and map your ideas in a visual way. Check out their intro video below.
Privacy is Dead… Because WE Have Killed It.
Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy