In the next two days, you will gain a good understanding of how you can integrate GPS activities and GIS resources into your instruction. This is a primer course – if you’d like to REALLY get into this topic, participate in the CMAP Workshop – a 5-day, 3-credit course next summer (or in Cedar City in two weeks!). The permalink above will always get you back to this page for the class resources and links. Go to sedcclint.com under the GPS tag for all of my related resoruces.
Day 1 Resources:
- Class Syllabus
- Class Agenda
- Geocaching Classroom Ideas
- GPS In The Classroom Presentation – find it on YouTube
- Education Resources from Geocaching.com
- Example puzzle-type cache – Chemistry Test
- Garmin GPS Drivers, Garmin Web Updater & Garmin Communicator Plug-In
- Garmin BaseCamp download
- Google Earth download
- Sample activity: St. George Scavenger Hunt
- GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, optional)
- Create a Tour in Google Earth
- GPS & Geocaching Apps:
- Google+ for iOS and Android – great for posting photos online to be used in your maps
- Join our GPS & GIS Google Classroom:
- Go to Google Classroom and sign in with your @washk12.org Google account if prompted
- Click the ‘+‘ in the upper right and select ‘Join class‘
- Enter ‘rlmdkk‘ as the class code.
Day 2 Resources:
- Park Map Group Assignments
- Review: Making Maps with Google Earth (YouTube)
- The Geospatial Revolution (YouTube)
- Park Map V2: Using ArcGIS Online Mapping (use your sedc.maps.arcgis.com login)
- ArcGIS Story Map Gallery
- Learn how to make your own Story Maps (YouTube playlist)
- Mapping from the Classroom: What If???
- Planet Conversions
- Geocaching Printable Logs
- Geocaching containers and other products
- Lexicon of Geocaching – get ‘hip’ to the cachers lingo and abbreviations.
- AnyPlaceAmerica.com – Offers over 1 million free topographic maps for points of interest in the United States.
- Example map that the 2014 class created of the St. George City Park
- Extreme example of a community mapping project
- SUU Registration Form
- Class Evaluation
- UEN Lesson Plan Tool – please send me your lesson plan within 2-3 weeks.
- All GPS related articles on edtech.zone
- 2011 class page on edtech.zone
- 2010 class page on edtech.zone