You can find these resources later by using the Interactive Whiteboards tag on my site.
First Things First – Orient The Board
- Orienting the board matches up the location of your pen on the board to the corresponding screen location.
- You can orient the board when you first launch Notebook, from the Help (?) Button on the board, or by pressing both the Keyboard and Right Click buttons on the base of the board together.
- Help button (or anything else) not working correctly? You may need to download and install the SMARTBoard Drivers
References and Handouts
Notebook – Kinda like a chalk board, but so much better
- With SMART Notebook software, you can quickly access all lesson materials from one convenient location. Intuitive tools and features enable you to easily create, deliver and manage interactive lessons. You can also add graphics and multimedia content instantly to any assessment or lesson.
- Create your lessons beforehand, at home or at school, or during class on the fly.
- Save Notebooks for later use, or export the pages as images, PDF’s, or web pages to share with your students (It’s a great idea to make these resources available to students and parents from your web site) – In Notebook, head to File –> Export to see the options.
- Access the SMART Exchange directly
- Browse or search the Gallery for virtually anything you may need
- Use the Screen Shade for an incremental reveal of your page – like the old piece of paper on the overhead projector!
- Use the Magic Pen to make sure your students are following along. Ink disappears after a certain amount of time.
- Shape Recognition Pen will turn those squiggly, wavering circles into perfect spheres
- Customize the Toolbar so that the tools you use most often are at your fingertips
Download, Access and USE the ‘Extras’
Capturing screen shots and Recording everything
- The Screen Capture Toolbar (Camera icon) will allow you to capture or take “pictures” of your screen to use in your Notebooks. The toolbar has 4 options:
- a selected area of the screen
- a selected window
- a free-hand selected shape
- the entire screen
- The SMART Recorder (Camcorder icon) will allow you to basically record everything that happens on your computer, including sound or a microphone if it’s connected, to create an archive or ‘Screencast’ of your lesson
Handwriting to Text
- There’s also the on-screen keyboard to enter text – just hit the Help (?) Button on the board.
Keeping up, or Going Further
Here are some additional learning resources that you can listen to or watch anytime, anywhere to further your learning and expertise with this amazing teaching tool. These are links to podcasts, and will take you directly to iTunes: